If you know you will be undergoing a mastectomy, you may be wondering about breast reconstruction surgery. You no doubt have many questions, and the staff at Specialists in Plastic Surgery is here to help. Here is some information on breast reconstruction surgery to help you decide if this procedure might be right for you.
Why would a woman get breast reconstruction surgery?
Every woman is different, and every woman may have a different reason for getting breast reconstruction surgery. This procedure can help clothes to fit better and make the chest look balanced when wearing clothes. However, perhaps the most important reason many women choose breast reconstruction surgery is to renew their feelings of self-confidence.
What should I know about breast reconstruction surgery?
There is a lot of information out there, and you should discuss this procedure with your doctor. In the meantime, here are a few answers to commonly asked questions:
- Newer breast reconstruction surgery techniques have made it so scars are less noticeable, and any scars that you do have will fade over time.
- Studies have shown that breast reconstruction surgery does not increase the risk of cancer returning, and if it does return the reconstructed breasts will not make it more difficult to find it or treat it.
- Some women may be able to choose between having reconstructive surgery at the same time as a mastectomy or later. There are many factors that might go into this decision: some women simply don’t want more surgery other than what is absolutely necessary at the time, and some women may have other health issues or they may be too thin or obese, which can cause complications.
- A rebuilt breast may not have the same feelings as the natural breast – sensation will be lost.
- If you will need radiation treatment, this can limit the types of reconstruction surgery you can have.
There is a lot to think about when considering breast reconstruction surgery, but the staff at Specialists in Plastic Surgery in Raleigh, North Carolina, wants to help you get the answers you need. Call (919) 785-0505 for a consultation today!