A Mommy Makeover is a combination of plastic surgery procedures designed to address body changes experienced by women who have been through pregnancy and are seeking to improve the physical effects that linger after childbirth. Each procedure and surgical plan is customized to fit the patient's specific needs. Most commonly, a Mommy Makeover is generally a combination of breast and abdomen procedures, adding additional elements as needed.
What is a Mommy Makeover?
A Mommy Makeover focuses on restorative procedures for the breasts and abdomen as these areas are typically most impacted by motherhood. Throughout pregnancy and breast-feeding, your breasts may enlarge by a full cup size or more. Returning back to normal can result in a significant loss in breast volume and sagging. Additionally, in the abdominal area, muscles, skin and tissues stretch and may not bounce back to their tight, pre-baby shape. The Mommy Makeover addresses these areas to improve and restore their appearance.
Who Should Get a Mommy Makeover?
Women who have experienced a change in the appearance of their breasts and abdomen after pregnancy are good candidates for a Mommy Makeover procedure. We recommend that you wait until you have finished having children and those areas have stabilized in appearance before having a Mommy Makeover procedure in order to achieve the best, longest-lasting results.
The Procedures of a Mommy Makeover
Commonly after pregnancy (particularly after breast feeding), women notice a decrease in the volume and change in shape of their breasts, as well as a deflated appearance and lower positioning of their nipple and areola.
A breast augmentation utilizes implants to restore fullness, shape and volume. A breast lift can be done with or without the addition of an implant, and helps to lift saggy skin to improve the shape of your breast and position of your nipple and areola. If women have disproportionately large breasts, a breast reduction helps create smaller, more proportional and lifted appearance for heavy and large, uncomfortable breasts.
A tummy tuck, also known as abdominoplasty, serves to tighten the abdominal muscles and remove excess skin that are both stretched and lose their elasticity with pregnancy. Liposuction is commonly performed in combination with any of the breast and body procedures, and helps remove excess fat in unwanted areas such as the bra-line, lower back, and thighs.
What to Expect with Your Mommy Makeover
- Your recovery period primarily depends on which procedures are performed for your Mommy Makeover. The recovery from breast procedures can take from one to two weeks, and when including a tummy tuck or liposuction procedures may last up to 2 to 4 weeks before the majority of your soreness and swelling have improved.
- It is important to understand you will be trading better shape for scars. The scars are hidden in areas that will be covered by most clothing and with time, will improve. Most women feel this is a small trade-off compared to the large improvement in their self-confidence after surgery.
- You will need help around the house during your recovery – you will be tired and tender after your mommy makeover, making routine tasks more challenging; be sure to ask for assistance around the house from a family member or friend. You will need to refrain from heavy lifting – including babies and children – and vigorous exercise for at least six weeks after your mommy makeover.
- To ensure the results from your mommy makeover are long-lasting, stick with a healthy lifestyle, including a balanced diet and routine exercise schedule.
- Get ready for a serious boost in self-confidence – your mommy makeover will be life-changing, restoring confidence and pride in your appearance.
Your Personalized Mommy Makeover
The mommy makeover is ideal for bringing a post-baby body back to its pre-pregnancy shape. When you are ready to take the next step, call us to schedule an in-person consultation and we will develop a plan that is customized to achieve your goals.
How Much Does a Mommy Makeover Cost in Raleigh?
At your consultation, the cosmetic coordinator will provide you with a detailed individual estimate given your surgeon’s recommendations. Please click here if you would like a generalized price estimate.