Body contouring procedures are designed to refine and reshape your figure. One of the most popular methods of body contouring is liposuction. While you may be certain about the body you want for yourself, you may not be sure if liposuction is the right choice for you.
A consultation with one of the board-certified plastic surgeons at Specialists in Plastic Surgery, PA is the best way to find out if liposuction can help you achieve a firmer, more toned figure. The consultation is an opportunity for you to learn more about liposuction and for one of our surgeons to learn more about you, your medical history, and your goals for treatment.
What is Liposuction?
Liposuction is a surgical procedure for removing fat from the body. Our surgeons use this body contouring method to target fat deposits that won’t budge, even when you stick to a strict healthy diet and exercise regimen. To achieve great results for our patients, our surgeons perform suction-assisted liposuction (SAL) and ultrasound-assisted liposuction (UAL):
- SAL – Suction-assisted liposuction involves use of a tube and a vacuum device to extract fat from targeted areas.
- UAL – Ultrasound-assisted liposuction utilizes ultrasonic energy to emulsify fat prior to extraction via cannula.
Qualities of an Ideal Liposuction Candidate
Candidacy for liposuction is determined by several factors involving your general health, lifestyle, and physical condition. Ideal liposuction candidates share the following qualities:
- Near their optimal body weight
- Good skin elasticity
- Good muscle tone
- Non-smoker or willing to stop smoking for a period of time prior to surgery and throughout your recovery
- No unresolved medical conditions or conditions that can interfere with the body’s healing process
In addition to the characteristics listed above, qualified liposuction candidates have excess fat in one or more of these treatable areas:
- Inner knee
- Upper arms
- Chest area
Your Expectations and Candidacy for Liposuction
Part of being a good candidate involves having realistic expectations for liposuction results and the duration of its results. Our surgeons may recommend an alternative treatment if you:
- Have considerable excess body weight – Liposuction is not a solution for obesity. You will be advised to use diet and exercise to reach a healthier body weight before you can be considered a candidate.
- Have hanging or sagging skin – Liposuction can’t address loose skin. Our surgeons may advise that a tummy tuck or body lift would be a better treatment option for you if excess skin is your primary concern.
- Do not plan to exercise and eat for optimal health – Liposuction is designed to remove limited amounts of body fat that are resistant to natural weight loss methods. Results can be permanent if you practice healthy habits. However, you will still gain weight if you fail to manage your eating and activity levels. Ideal candidates are committed to maintaining an optimal weight for life.
Contact Us for a Liposuction Consultation in Raleigh
Our board-certified plastic surgeons have decades of experience. They can advise you if liposuction is the best way to slim your body, and they will put your safety first, from the initial consultation all the way through your recovery.
We serve patients in Raleigh and the surrounding areas of North Carolina. Call us at 919-785-0505 to schedule a consultation.